Inflight Entertainment and Connectivity (IFEC) specialists IFPL will be demonstrating how easy it will be for airlines to make the transition from USB-A to USB-C at APEX 2018 in Boston, USA.
IFPL’s latest USB development enables airlines to easily transition from USB Type A to Type C using their existing USB-A onboard power architecture or supporting the newer USB-Power Delivery architectures that can provide up to 60W of power whilst designing their outlets to enable seamless seat integration.
Collaborating with seat Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), IFPL has designed a modular architecture that supports seamless seat integration. By taking the traditional single unit design and splitting it into two modular components: a DC to DC convertor and a small USB Remote Power Outlet (RPO) enables the outlet to be integrated into areas previously impossible. IFPL will display integrated USB-A and USB-C outlets that have been seamlessly integrated into the Mirus Hawk seat and utilising a KID Systeme in-seat power supply.
Additionally, IFPL will be demonstrating:
• The Patent Pending USB Charge To Charge technology offers a clever way for airlines to charge their passengers to turn on the USB power and also launch adverts and promotions when the passenger plugs in their device. IFPL has enabled this through a straightforward swap of the existing USB outlet to a Charge To Charge version and crucially, without an expensive system change.
• Reversible USB-A which has bi-directional insertion meaning whichever way the passenger inserts their plug they will always get it right, minimising Customer Induced Damage (CID) and providing 10 times the reliability when compared to an existing unit. The bi-directional connector is now intended as a standard design for all IFPL products.
• USB-C outlets that support USB-Power Delivery
• Rapid Fit USB-C technology (patent pending), allowing just the non-expensive connector to be replaced should the USB-C be damaged instead of the whole unit.
• A dual USB outlet includes a USB-A and USB-C connector, providing a solution for airlines through the transition period from USB-A to USB-C.
• Inductive (wireless) charge solution that can be neatly integrated into a Portable Electronic Device (PED) mount design. This allows the passenger to wirelessly charge whilst watching their PED.
As always, IFPL’s established range of IFEC products and solutions will be on display. An expert team will be on hand to discuss your requirements on booth #707 at APEX 2018.